Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

WARNING – Is Your Soul in Danger of Being Snared?

I've been pondering this alot recently: the prosperity of the soul.

Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers. (3 John 2, NKJV)

According to that passage of Scripture, if our souls prosper all the areas of our lives will prosper. That's something that I really want, especially when I realized Matt 25:14-30 suggests that we are to double the wealth God has entrusted to our stewardship. 3 John 2 tells us to seek the prosperity of our souls, and that will set the other areas of our lives right. That includes our physical and financial health.

It's like the idea expressed in Matthew 6:31-33.

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. (NKJV)

Matthew 6:31-33 tells us that giving priority to God's kingdom leads to our material needs being met. Let's face it, for some people that alone will be a drastic improvement! But I find myself desiring more than that. So I kept asking myself, how do I cause my soul to prosper, so that I can prosper in all the areas of my life?

Yelling at Jessiah

In the meantime, I've also realized that I have been quite bad-tempered towards my elder son recently. I would yell at him when he doesn't follow my instructions or when he tells me absolute nonsense to make excuses for his mistakes. The troubling thing is, my reactions are entirely out of proportion. Jessiah is actually a great kid, very obedient AND a fun kid to be with. Why am I blowing up when he occasionally messes up in some very small matters? Why am I having anger problems? Here's one of the reasons I discovered.

My Soul Ensnared
Make no friendship with an angry man, and with a furious man do not go,
Lest you learn his ways
and set a snare for your soul. (Prov 22:24-25, NKJV)

This passage of Scripture tells us that one way to end up with anger problems (and your soul ensnared) is to associate with bad-tempered people.

When I first looked at this passage, it seemed like such a cop-out. I can't imagine saying to someone "The reason I'm bad-tempered is because I've been hanging around bad-tempered people…" It sounds like I'm just trying to make excuses for myself and avoid the blame! But if I reject this verse I am saying that I am that unchangeable in my character, that what can drag others down won't drag ME down.

If I ever think that I am too good for this verse, you'll know for certain I'm deluded!

I got my soul ensnared when I chose to associate with two bad tempered people in particular. I did my best to be calm and even-tempered with them, but after many years I grew tired of it. In the end I started blasting at them whenever they wilfully chose to ignore my boundaries.

Actually, they didn't really get it at the beginning, because they were not really bright. They were the sort who only understood very hostile words, blindingly obvious threat displays, throwing stuff around the house and other things you learn from watching Hong Kong and Taiwanese soap operas (That's why I don't like my kids watching TV). My blasting was like what you'd get from those hard-core teachers who could structure a scolding into lecture notes and sermon points. So by the time they understood what I was doing, discovered that I saw them as bratty kids and talked to them accordingly, they ended up feeling like fools.

Yeah, I made them realize they were fools and that I wasn't to be messed with. But at what cost? My soul got ensnared and Jessiah suffers for it. If I go on like this I am more a fool than they are!

Conclusion:

Maybe, just maybe, I'll have to get my soul out of this snare first before it can really start to prosper as God intended? I've decided that I need to deal with this anger problem before it gets worse and before I infect Jessiah with that same spirit. So if I ever come across anything useful or enlightening from the Bible, I'll certainly let you know!

In the meantime, do learn from my mistake. Don't let your soul get ensnared. Keep people with chronic anger issues as far from your life as possible. I was proud and thought that those angry people couldn't affect me. I was wrong and now have to get myself out of this fix. Please don't make the same mistake I did!

Be blessed, everyone!

P.S. And pray for me of course! Pray that God will grant me wisdom and patience… Thanks!

No comments: