Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Scripture Capture

(personal blog post)

Just thought of quickly capturing the passages that got my attention just this evening during my Scripture reading time with my boys. Kind of like a Screen Capture, but with Bible verses.

Deuteronomy 32:1-4 (NKJV) - Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak;
And hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.
Let my teaching drop as the rain, my speech distill as the dew,
As raindrops on the tender herb, and as showers on the grass.

For I proclaim the name of the Lord: Ascribe greatness to our God.
He is the Rock, His work is perfect; for all His ways are justice,
A God of truth and without injustice; righteous and upright is He.

hmmm... seems to be another illustration of the idea of God's Word as the rain, watering the earth. Makes me wonder if I go to a country suffering from drought and speak the Scriptures there, will God answer with rain for the land?

James 5:13-18 (NKJV) - Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms. Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.

Good verse to remember. Jess had a little health hiccup, and I remembered the pray-in-faith bit and totally forgot the anoint-with-oil bit. Some kind of Word-of-Faith person I turn out to be, right? Good thing I kept some olive oil around the house. It's useful for all kinds of stuff, not just anointing in prayer.

Psalm 59:10-13 (NKJV) - My God of mercy shall come to meet me; 
God shall let me see my desire on my enemies.
Do not slay them, lest my people forget; Scatter them by Your power,
And bring them down, O Lord our shield.
For the sin of their mouth and the words of their lips,
Let them even be taken in their pride,
And for the cursing and lying which they speak.
Consume them in wrath, consume them, that they may not be;
And let them know that God rules in Jacob to the ends of the earth.

Guess what? I get angry at injustice also. I face injustice also. And through the Word of God I bring up my emotions before God.  

Jeremiah 30:16 (NKJV) - Therefore all those who devour you shall be devoured;
And all your adversaries, every one of them, shall go into captivity;
Those who plunder you shall become plunder,
And all who prey upon you I will make a prey.

Another illustration of the principle: what you sow, you shall reap. God, by your grace I will keep myself from sowing evil into the lives of others. And forgive me, Lord, for the times I did.

Isaiah 54:17 (NKJV) - "No weapon formed against you shall prosper,
And every tongue which rises against you in judgment you shall condemn.
This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord,
a
nd their righteousness is from Me,” says the Lord.  

This is one of those passages that makes me examine my conscience. Why? Because i want to be sure everything I do deserves God defending me to that extent. God, may I be found blameless in your sight, that I can fully expect your total and complete vindication when my accusers arise!
 
James 2:12-13 (NIV) - Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

God, remind me to live by mercy and not by judgment. Let judgment fall on those who condemn me unfairly. On my part, I will crucify my flesh and choose to walk in mercy. 

So many thoughts, and this was less than 30 minutes of musing on God's Word and praying. Will continue to meditate on these verses tomorrow!

No comments: