Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dawning Realization

Personal Blog Post:

I went through the whole Bible in 2009 (one of those Bible-in-a-year plans) and decided that this year I'd focus on studying the New Testament as well as take another round through the Book of Psalms.

As I went through the Psalms this year, I just kept feeling that something was missing but I couldn't put my finger on it. I only figured it out when I re-visited this group of Psalms.

Psalm 25:1-7 (NIV)

1To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul; 2 in you I trust, O my God. Do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me. 3 No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame, but they will be put to shame who are treacherous without excuse.
4 Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; 5 guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. 6 Remember, O LORD, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. 7 Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O LORD.
Psalm 26:1-3 (NIV)
1 Vindicate me, O LORD, for I have led a blameless life; I have trusted in the LORD without wavering. 2 Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; 3 for your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in your truth.

Psalm 27:1-6 (NIV)
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. 3 Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.
4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. 5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. 6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.
This set of verses is an example of what I call the Crisis Psalms (first mentioned in this post). I didn't talk very much about that season of my life on this blog, but let's just say that a lot of the teachings during that season came from personal experiences and pain. :)

Anyway, what I realized when I re-visited that set of verses was this: the horrible, oppressive sense of being continuously under seige was gone. It's kinda like when a war veteran picks up the rifle he used in the infantry trenches and realizes that he's not in that war anymore.

Not saying that my life is smooth sailing now, but I finally took a look back and realized that I've come a long way since then. During those days, I couldn't even begin to imagine life being better than the continual struggle I faced then.

Of course I have moved on to more advanced problems, but now I have the added confidence of knowing that our LORD is faithful. As the hymn-writer so aptly put it, "T'was grace that brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home..."

And that's the point of this post. If you are facing any serious struggle or crisis right now, and it's affecting your clarity of vision and you find yourself losing hope, take courage. Hang on to your confession of faith and keep trusting our faithful LORD. Before you know it, you will find that you are past the worst of the storm, and much stronger in your faith for that experience!

Be blessed!

No comments: