Pages

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

More T & A (Teaching & Admonishing)

A quick follow-up note on the last post…

A couple of Saturdays ago, I spent 4 hours with my sis and one of her friends, a worship leader from her church. And it was great. I was totally in my element, sharing about leading worship, singing, demonstrating on both the keyboard and guitar… Wow! Totally fun!

Because I got held up at home, I got there late and VERY hungry. My sis got lunch for me, and while I was eating she was listing the questions she had for me to answer. When I heard some of her questions, however, my spirit got so excited that I forgot my hunger. I had to discipline myself to finish the food before getting started on her questions.

"I have food to eat that you know nothing about. My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.” (John 4:32, 34)
And once we got started, the time just shot past. I was showing how to modulate the key of a song in different situations, how to actually apply all these ideas in worship, what can be done with familiar songs, common situations during congregational worship and all that.

The really unusual part of the experience, however, was that AFTER it I realized MANY things about what I am doing, what I trying to teach. I found new and clearer ways of explaining what I had to teach. They just came to me in the days after the sharing session.

It was as if my subconscious was so stimulated by the interaction with my sis and her friend that for days I kept getting revelations and seeing connections about what I have been called to teach.

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17)

This is what you can get from teaching and admonishing one another, as the Scripture exhorts. I know the other people there were blessed by the sharing, but I was blessed even more. And that is what I want you to experience too.

A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. (Proverbs 11:25)

And I definitely was refreshed by the whole experience. After 4 hours I was ready to keep going on. Or find new people to share my info and experience with.

And that is why I do what I do, right?

Another point:

I shared last time about spending lots of time in the book of Psalms. My personal experience is that because the Psalms are less intellectual and more emotional, they build me up in my emotions more than other parts of Scripture.

And you kinda want to have more than an average familiarity with the book of Psalms. Because when the storms of life hit, sometimes our emotions just shut down and go dead on us and we find it difficult to pray our hearts out to God.

So at such moments, the Psalms do wonders for helping to bring life to our emotions again. The crisis Psalms (27, 31, 34, 54 and 61, for example) may seem a bit way-out for us during the normal days of life, but if you spend some time with them then they will minister to you so much more during the stormy seasons.

I just went through such a period, in fact. I was blasted in stereo, torn down effectively by a couple of experts and given burdens no one should ever have to bear, at a time when I most need my clarity… And the sheer unfairness of it all caused my emotions to just shut down. I couldn’t even pray the way I usually do.

All I could do was to take the crisis Psalms and read them aloud a few times each. And do that everyday until my emotions started coming back to normal again.

Now, you don’t want to wait until a crisis before you start feeding on these Psalms. It takes time for them to become a part of your spirit, and for them to start aligning your emotions and thoughts with the Word of God. So start on them now. It will take you less than 10 mins a day to read through them aloud a couple of times, but after just 3 weeks you will feel different, as if God has deposited something solid and substantial into your soul and spirit. (He will.)

Ok, that’s all for now. Get back to you all soon. Be blessed!

No comments: