Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Thoughts from a Funeral Wake

On Sunday I attended the funeral wake of a lady who took guitar lessons from me many years ago. Two years back she had a cancer relapse and last Saturday she went to be with the LORD. Just a few weeks ago I was in touch with her, trying to meet and catch up, but she wasn't feeling well (no surprise, right?). So I missed the opportunity to meet her before she left. Not a good feeling...

One thing about her, she was an extremely serious student. She started learning guitar for the sake of playing for her cell group worship, and she kept on at it until I had taught her everything I knew how to teach her. And she'd practice. I never had a lesson she'd give me some excuse about not practicing whatever was covered in the previous lesson. She also gave priority to her lessons; she almost never missed them even though she was doing accounting work and would have to work late some days every month.

Contrast that attitude with the drummer wannabes I sometimes end up arguing with. They get offended when I insist that someone who wants to play drums should hold the sticks right for starters. I keep hearing MANY say "everyone has to start somewhere..." and think they are entitled to play drums on the worship team when they aren't ready. The rest of the band has to endure them trying to learn the instrument and wasting everyone else's time.

We don't put up with this from pianists, guitarists or bassists. Why should we put up with it from drummers?

Not only was this student serious with her lessons, she was also serious with serving. She would lead worship and play guitar for her cell group. And do it well. It was such a joy to be her worship guitar teacher, because she was so dedicated to learning AND serving.

Anyway, attending my student's funeral has gotten me even more sober and serious about how I use my time this year. I don't know if she had any regrets or unfulfilled wishes as she considered her eminent departure from this life. What I do know is that it is students like her who remind me why I got into teaching in the first place. Her husband told me that she was playing guitar even as her health deteriorated and it became difficult for her to get her fingers in the right places. It really touched me deeply, to know how seriously she took what I taught her those many years back.

So right now I am thinking about how to best invest my time and my life this year, so that I can not only take good care of my family but also invest my life into other people. How about you? What is on your mind and heart now as you plan how to steward your time this coming year?

No comments: