Pages

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Flesh vs The Spirit

Boasting and Persuasion

Boasting in the Flesh

The older I get, the less keen I am to boast in the flesh. That, sadly, leads to a disconnect with people who don't hear well from the Spirit, but are much more familiar with their flesh. (I am using flesh, carnality and related terms here as a contrast to living by the Spirit)

Apostle Paul had a problem with the carnal Corinthians. He found that just using the Word of God and showing the works of God were not convincing enough to them, so he felt driven to pen these words.

2 Corinthians 11:21-29 (NKJV) - But in whatever anyone is bold—I speak foolishly—I am bold also.

Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? So am I. Are they ministers of Christ?—I speak as a fool—I am more: in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often. From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness— besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I am not weak? Who is made to stumble, and I do not burn with indignation?

The key idea of Paul here: "I speak foolishly" and "I speak as a fool". In other words, Paul feels it is stupid that he even needs to bring up this topic, and that he feels embarrassed to have to appeal to his experiences rather than the Word of God and the works of God.

2 Corinthians 12:5-6 (NKJV) - Of such a one I will boast; yet of myself I will not boast, except in my infirmities. For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me.

The problem with boasting in the flesh is that it can cause misunderstandings. The carnal people speak to each other carnally, and they know what is meant. When the spiritual use carnal boasting, the carnal can easily misunderstand the words.

Let me give you an example.

When I first started playing drums for worship, it was at a mega-church. In other words, you know they had people to spare, they had standards and expectations from their musicians, and it meant that for me to play drums there at the age of 20, I was not a total incompetent.

But if I were to talk of it, "I first started playing drums for worship at 20 years old, at a mega-church", there will be people to take it to mean I am really skilled or knowledgeable at drums. Nope, I wasn't. It's just that I was not totally incompetent. But I still had a lot to learn then, and I admit to my shame, I was quite arrogant and unteachable at that time. So I didn't learn as much as I could have.

That is why I'd rather not talk about that season. If I wanted to make a point about how drums were to be used in church, I would rather use logic, reason, Scripture (if applicable) and let my own ability speak for itself, if I was worth listening to or not. Look at my music, especially my playing, to see if you should give weight to my opinions on serving via music.

But if someone less skilled than the 13 year-olds I taught drums to when I was 15 would say that when it comes to drums in church, I really don't get it (but he in his incompetence does), and if there are church leaders who would even give consideration to his words (to think he has a point when arguing against something I thought was common sense), that is when boasting in the flesh becomes necessary. I could understand that guy's arrogance, I mean, I was young and arrogant before too (except that I had more skills to back it up of course). But I could not understand if church leaders ever needed me to boast of my experience from the days I am now quite embarrassed about.

2 Corinthians 12:11-12 (NKJV) - I have become a fool in boasting; you have compelled me. For I ought to have been commended by you; for in nothing was I behind the most eminent apostles, though I am nothing. Truly the signs of an apostle were accomplished among you with all perseverance, in signs and wonders and mighty deeds.

I am no apostle; signs and wonders for me measured in how seldom my boys are late for school even though I am the one in charge of getting them ready for school in the morning. In church I have a cushy ministry; I play music and get to call it serving the church, the people of God. Things cannot get much easier for me, so I don't get to boast of epic works of service. But in what I do know, I would say I know well, and I let those whom I have served decide for themselves if what I say is true.

In other words, the sphere to which I have been appointed includes church music, especially in the churches I serve in.

2 Corinthians 10:13 (NKJV) - We, however, will not boast beyond measure, but within the limits of the sphere which God appointed us—a sphere which especially includes you.

Persuading by the Spirit

Now outside of that, when it comes to other aspects of the believer's life, I would rather use the Scriptures as my authority. When dealing with an unpleasant situation, if the word of God has given clear enough guidelines, that is pretty much all there is to it. I don't know everything in the Bible as well as I'd like, so if there are Scripture passages or principles I missed, do tell me. But if I didn't miss anything but expressed the clear and complete teaching of the Bible on a particular question, the word of God should just settle it immediately.

There are enough rules and guidelines in the Bible on how to live life. God knows how many churches would be fine if the members were taught to follow Matthew 18 in dealing with conflicts. The book of Proverbs contains enough wisdom to keep us from marrying narcissistic sociopaths by mistake. The Psalms transmit the essence of worship and prayer in ways that conferences and seminars are woefully inadequate to.

It's sad that for many of my fellow Charismatics who call themselves Spirit-filled believers, they seem to think they have a Catholic-like dispensation, an exemption from the parts of the Bible they don't like. The believers I know from traditional churches are much more serious about obeying the Word, and if they disagree with me on something they have Scripture-based arguments that I can respect, even if I don't agree with them.

The carnal are good at coming up with excuses. "You don't understand", "You don't know what it's like", "You have never been through what I have been through". *shrug Show me from the Scriptures since when those are valid reasons for nullifying the Word of God.

Don't Get Me Wrong

I don't obey ALL of the Bible either. I don't do everything I know from the Scriptures I ought to do. And because of that, I know I am NOT entitled to all the benefits of obedience. It is as simple as that. Any area of my life I do not obey the Scriptures in, is an area I cannot complain to God about when things go wrong or if I have no rest in my spirit.

And that is what I say to my fellow siblings-in-Christ. Obey the Scriptures, the best you can. Don't make excuses for not obeying, and later expect God to lavish on you the benefits of obedience anyway. Let me not have to boast in my flesh to tell you the Word of God will prevail. Let me not have to tell you stories of all the nasty lessons I learned from life because I was too stubborn to learn from God's Word directly.

And if God brings mentors into your path, for God's sake listen to them. Don't talk to them about how well you heard from God before, and that is why you don't need to obey the Scriptures immediately, now. A God-sent mentor can drastically level you up in your wisdom and following the ways of God. Empty your cup, be humble, let the Word of God through your mentor prune you further that you may bear much fruit.

John 15:2-3 (NKJV) - Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.  You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you



More blog posts coming up, God willing. :)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I don't obey ALL of the Bible either. I don't do everything I know from the Scriptures I ought to do. And because of that, I know I am NOT entitled to all the benefits of obedience. It is as simple as that. Any area of my life I do not obey the Scriptures in, is an area I cannot complain to God about when things go wrong or if I have no rest in my spirit. " This is honest and delineates the natural consequence of our actions without having to misjudge that it is God that curses us. Too many have a slavish mentality of God. Instead, recognize that sin has it's own bad consequences and God is always waiting for us to obey and take part in that the Kingdom economy.