Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

My First Haiku

The Bible is open

My mind and spirit renewed

I live in shalom

inspired by Psalm 119:165 -

Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.

I've been thinking about bad poetry recently. After a while I decided that since I don't write poetry I am in no position to criticize! So while thinking about the structures of haiku (official definition given below) I suddenly managed to write one! I'll be gloating about this for quite some time, that's for sure!

"Haiku (俳句 haikai verse?) About this sound listen , plural haiku, is a form of Japanese poetry, consisting of 17 moras (or on), in three phrases of 5, 7, and 5 moras respectively.[1] Although haiku are often stated to have 17 syllables,[2] this is inaccurate as syllables and moras are not the same. Haiku typically contain a kigo (seasonal reference), and a kireji (cutting word). In Japanese, haiku are traditionally printed in a single vertical line, while haiku in English usually appear in three lines, to parallel the three phrases of Japanese haiku.[3] Previously called hokku, haiku was given its current name by the Japanese writer Masaoka Shiki at the end of the 19th century."

From Wikipedia

No comments: