Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Saturday or Sunday Services?

Personal Blog (for once)


My church is moving premises. They're going to meet at a place is that is pretty small for the current congregation size, so the leadership decided to start a Saturday evening service as well, in addition to the usual two (one Chinese and one English) services on Sundays.

The worship director has tentatively decided that whoever serves on Saturdays need not serve on Sundays. So I've been thinking about that quite a bit. Should I ask to serve on Saturday or Sunday? Or just go where I'm needed?

Saturday - pros
  • I get my Sunday mornings free. I'll then have SOME hope of attending seminars and workshops and all that.
Saturday - cons

  • I'll have to re-schedule my Saturday afternoon teaching. Not sure if that is possible
  • What if I have gigs on Saturday night?
I know this will shock some of you, but I am NOT on staff at my church. Really. I make a living teaching freelance and doing various secular gigs. When I have to manage all that AND spend time with my family, serving at church has to be VERY carefully monitored to make sure I don't go overboard there and neglect my family, work or my health.

It's a tough balancing act, and most of the time something drops! :)


Of course it would be good if I were on church staff, but it just isn't happening. At one point there was negotiation going on with a church that wanted me to work there full-time, but it was to be worship ministry AND other stuff. And in the end it didn't work out (much to the relief of many people in my church!)

And that also explains why my teaching articles are so sporadic, and why I had to take a big step of faith to work more on my new book this month. I have to juggle writing with secular gigs and teaching. There is so much more stuff I'd like to write and put up to serve the body of Christ, but it is difficult to manage all of that.

So the truth is out. There is no church financing my Invisible Worship Musician ministry, so thank God it is inexpensive to run! :D And whenever I get thank you emails from people who are on my email list, it warms my heart and makes all the time, effort, prayer and Bible study feel as if it counts for something in the big picture.

Ah well, I guess it all boils down to where I am needed. Maybe I'll try to catch the director one day and ask him what he thinks would be best and where would I be the most useful!

No comments: