Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

Submitting to Judgment

The book is completed! I’ve finished putting down everything that I wanted to say, what I believe will be a firm foundation of knowledge and understanding for anyone aspiring to the worship ministry. Thank God!

It was a difficult journey, because writing the book forced me to clearly define my position and make my stand really clear. In doing so I became even more convinced of the importance of what I am sharing in this book. Is the hardest part over for me? No. Now I’ve to submit my book to pastors for judgment.

Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. (1 Corinthians 14:29, NKJV)

In my book I quote that verse and apply it to musicians who claim that they are playing prophetically by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. I say that if they are not willing to submit their playing for judgment, they do not have the right heart for the ministry of playing prophetically.

Now that I’ve written my book and spoken out what I believe God is telling me to speak, I’ve got to do the same thing. And it’s really scary…

Why? Because I am not confident of my Scriptural interpretations? No. I am extremely confident, and in my book I have boldly spoken out on the many errors that I’ve come across in the worship ministry. Even a popular worship song that has lyrics that are based on a misinterpretation of Scripture hasn’t been spared, you know, the one that implies that we are to bring God MORE than a song, for a song in itself is not what God requires. The lyrics state that God goes much deeper within than the way things appear and he looks right into the heart.

The scary part is this: all it took for me to discover that the song in question was a misinterpretation of Scripture was a quick flip to the original passage and having an elementary understanding of the concept of sacrifice in worship. Many sincere people in worship ministry, pastors included, have missed this obvious error. And instead of feeling superior to them I keep asking myself: Is there a Scripture interpretation I am teaching that has an error that is so extreme and obvious but I have missed it?

I’m sure the writer of the song in question would be heart-broken if he ever discovered that he has taught the wrong idea to God’s people. I know I would be…
And so I humbly ask for help, for pastors who would be willing to help me judge my book. Just as I submit my playing prophetically to the judgment of the worship leaders and the rest of the musicians I play with, so do I now submit my message to the judgment and evaluation of people God has called to the ministry of shepherding his people and teaching his word.

And there have been responses already from pastors who have offered their help. And I am thankful. Some of you didn’t get my email asking for help (those of you using hotmail, I noticed), so I’m telling you all again: I’ve finished the text of my book (the music notation’s not included yet) and I’m looking for pastors willing to help me with proof-reading my Scripture interpretations. So if you know pastors who are willing to help me out, get me in touch with them so that I can ask them for help.

Do continue to keep me in prayer during this season. God willing, the book will be released by the last week of this month. Pray that I will continue to remain strong, courageous and teachable at this time. Thanks, everyone! Be blessed!

No comments: