Pages

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Listen up...

“He who answers before listening - that is his folly and his shame.” Proverbs 18:13

I love to answer good questions from people.

Why? Because I usually know WHY I do something, but it’s when I have to articulate it then I become very clear about those reasons.

Otherwise they’re just kinda hazy in my mind. Get what I mean?

And after the first time I played for the Monday service at Living Faith Church (www.thelivingfaith.org) I was helping a student from that church understand my playing style.

And she remarked “it seems as if you are listening before you play each note.”

And she was right.

It was when she brought it up that I realize that I whenever I play for worship I am listening to the rest of the worship team. If I am playing for a church service with a band I am listening to the rest of the musicians in the band.

(so if there’s anyone who messes up his/her part, yes I am affected. Boy am I affected!)

And I am always listening to the congregation.

When I am leading worship, people seem to be overly amazed at how I just know when to stay at a song and when to move on. Two things, first whenever I lead worship, I always take time to let the song sink into my own spirit first, so that I can understand its unique internal flow, as it were.

And second, I am listening to the worshippers. If their hearts are still on a song, I’ll just stay there.

You’d be amazed how little church musicians really listen.  

Especially keyboardists. Most don’t play the keyboard, they type on it with the same level of emotion and attention they give to the rattling that comes from their computer keyboards when they are frantically rushing their Excel worksheets or Winword documents for the next board meeting.

Hey keyboardists, when was the last time you sat down on the keyboard and listened to the C chord? Yes, in root position? Do you still remember the wonder you felt when you first played those three notes together and experienced the C chord for the first time?

And guitarists, when was the last time you stopped to listen to your simple, open-string E minor chord? Listen to it string by string, then hear the awe-inspiring beauty of this chord as you strum all the strings together. Beautiful, isn’t it?

And drummers, hit a ride cymbal and listen to how long the ring resounds. In the ancient tribal cultures, they’d use percussion instruments to bring themselves to a trance-like state where they felt they could connect with their deities. For us, the Bible repeatedly talks about praising God with the cymbals. Can you hear the glory and holiness of God as you strike the cymbals?

And everyone, try this out the next time you are talking with someone. Just chill out, sit back and really listen.

Let your mind be still and just hear what he or she has to say. Listen for their heart, listen for their inner thoughts. Know that they will be revealed to you if you just calm your own heart and listen to what they are saying, not what you think they mean when they say something.

Don’t be too quick to answer. It is written “Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak…” (James 1:19, NIV). Let moments of silence arise in the conversation and let God speak to you too. Do a 3-way call with God, as some people put it.

Practice this awesome skill of listening. If you don’t, but hurriedly jump in with your own replies before you’ve truly heard the questions, well, Proverbs 18:13 is very clear in how it describes you.

And that verse implies that if you DO listen before you reply, that is your wisdom and glory.

Let us to be known as people of wisdom and glory, OK?

Be blessed!

Prayer Time: The next intake for the Play Drums for Worship course is open for registration. Thank God for his divine favor in the eyes of worshippers desiring to serve God and his people directly. Pray that I’ll be able to touch the right people with this course, that God will bless me and enlarge the territory of my ministry.

And feel free to forward the drums info email to your friends and ministry leaders too. Thanks, everyone!

Be blessed!

No comments: